Director of Development Job Description
Part of the Solution (POTS) is a “one-stop shop” helping low-income individuals and families move from crisis to stability and, ultimately, self-sufficiency. POTS “one-stop shop” model connects clients to a range of stabilizing services under one roof. POTS helps more than 30,000 people, including 8,000 children, annually. Currently, services include a Community Dining Room; a Food Pantry; Clothing Room, Shower, and Mail Facilities; Barbershop; Case Management; a Legal Clinic; and the POTS Family Club. POTS also holds a variety of seasonal distributions for items such as back-to-school supplies, Thanksgiving turkeys, and holiday gifts and is host to Immigrant Justice Corps and a Medical and Dental Clinic. POTS is a sponsored ministry of the Sisters of Charity of New York.
About the position
POTS is seeking an experienced fundraising professional for its Director of Development position. The Director of Development will design and implement a comprehensive fundraising strategy aimed at securing diverse revenue streams to meet the organization’s annual $5M operating needs and future growth goals as anchored in its $8M capital campaign. The successful candidate will be a skilled relationship manager who will steward and deepen engagement with current donors, while identifying, cultivating and securing new funding opportunities.
The Director of Development will be a collaborative team member who is energized by the opportunity lead a strategic approach towards execution of the organization’s annual and multi-year fundraising goals. The successful candidate will report to and work closely with the Executive Director to manage key donor relationships and maximize the organization’s potential for revenue generation to support POTS’ programs, operations and aspirations.
The Director of Development will also work with the Board of Directors and POTS’ Leadership Team to identify organizational needs and develop compelling strategies to cultivate individual donors, oversee communications and marketing, special events, and secure funding from foundations, corporations and government agencies.
The Director of Development will build on existing organizational relationships to grow and strengthen POTS’ revenue base with the assistance of a three member staff.
The ideal candidate will have strategy, implementation, and management skills; a proven track record of fundraising success; and significant experience in donor cultivation and stewardship, major gift solicitation, and marketing.
- BA/BS required; MBA, MPA or other advanced degree, preferred
- 5–7+ years of development and fundraising experience, preferably in a leadership role, with a track record of meeting revenue targets
- Success in identifying, cultivating, and soliciting major donors
- Demonstrates comfort and confidence as a POTS brand ambassador when engaging with internal and external stakeholders
- Strategic thinker who can develop a fundraising vision and define the steps to achieve it
- Proven track record of motivating, managing, and mentoring a team
- Clear and effective communicator possessing strong written and verbal communication skills
- High level of initiative and adaptability, able to set priorities and work independently
- Skilled relationship builder who enjoys interaction with the diverse stakeholders in a nonprofit organization, including donors, Board members, volunteers, media, staff, and clients
- Experience or preference working in an ambitious, entrepreneurial setting
- Analytic, paying close attention to detail
- Strong follow-through with donors and stakeholders
- Experience working with DonorPro or other CRM software
- Strong, functional knowledge of MS Office Suite, including Excel
- Good sense of humor
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision coverage
- Other benefits including 401(k) retirement plan and FSA plan
- Opportunities for professional development
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject “Director of Development.” The cover letter must include a description of the applicant’s qualifications and salary requirements.