The Sisters of Charity of New York seek two Registered Nurses for Health and Wellness.
Under the supervision of the Director of Health and Wellness, the Wellness Nurse acts as a member of the interdisciplinary Health and Wellness Team to promote the physical and mental health of sisters by utilizing nursing skills and assisting them to navigate the healthcare system. The Wellness Nurse must effectively interact with sisters, family and others while maintaining confidentiality and standards of professional nursing. The Nurse will also assist the Director of Health and Wellness in coordinating and monitoring medical services and wellness activities for sisters living in community and in residential facilities.
- Assess a sister’s state of wellness in an initial interview, assist her in forming a plan for maintaining a healthy and meaningful life. Maintain a supportive relationship through regular contact.
- Encourage wellness activities, assist sister in setting her own goals and making the contacts with appropriate services if needed. Oversee the quality and effectiveness of the services.
- In collaboration with the Director, accompany sisters through serious illness or surgery by going with them to doctors when requested, being present before and after surgery to speak with the doctor/surgeon, visiting them in the hospital and rehabilitation facilities, communicating with staff, working with discharge planners for aftercare at home or in rehab and attending care plan meetings.
- If needed, make appointments and coordinate the transportation needs of sisters to doctors and hospital appointments.
- Assist sisters in ongoing review of their Advanced Directives and healthcare proxies. Maintain files of health histories and related documents.
- Make accurate and ongoing assessments of sisters’ status and review care plans as necessary.
- Communicate with Congregation leadership promptly and regularly regarding changes in a sister’s status.
- Identify and provide recommendations to sisters and Regional Coordinators when the need for a higher level of care becomes evident. Assist sisters to make appropriate health decisions and support them through transitions.
- Advocate for sisters in a professional manner with staff of facilities where they reside.
- Communicate with family members according to Congregation policy.
- Share in on-call duties so that emergencies may be handled promptly at whatever day or time and so that sisters will be accompanied when taken to an Emergency Room.
- Assist the Director of Health and Wellness in providing education on wellness to the Congregation.
- Assist sisters in locating specialists and other services, e.g. home care.
- In coordination with SC Center staff and the Health and Wellness team, arrange for insurance enrollments and work through problems that may occur in these processes.
- In collaboration with Director, the Nurse Care Manager may determine need for special nursing care such as an overnight aide,
- On occasion perform direct patient care utilizing established standards when administering treatments and procedures.
- Demonstrate ability to handle emergency situations in a prompt, precise, and professional manner.
- Offer comfort and empathy to the sister, acknowledging physiological and psychological needs.
- Interact with sisters who are at various levels of cognition, ranging from independent to severely impaired and do so with respect, compassion and kindness to enhance quality of life for the sisters.
- Assist sisters and family members with concern and empathy; respect their confidentiality and privacy and communicate with them in a courteous and respectful manner.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Commitment to the Mission of the Sisters of Charity and to the elderly.
- Current New York State Registered Nurse License; must maintain mandated continuing education requirements.
- Five years of experience in a long-term care facility and/or working with the elderly in home care or case management.
- Excellent in communication, organization, interpersonal and planning skills and ability to maintain a high level of discretion with confidential information. Ability to have the difficult conversations.
- Ability to be on call and work occasional nights, weekends and holiday, as needed.
- Must have valid NYS Driver’s License and successfully pass SCNY driving test.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary team focused on a holistic approach to wellness.
- Must have working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
Drive extensively to and from various locations and transport sisters, sometimes with wheelchairs. Ability to bend, stoop, sit, stand, reach, and lift 50 pounds or less; must utilize proper lifting and body mechanics to prevent personal injury. This position performs tasks that may involve exposure to blood, body fluids, or tissues.
Please send resumes to Sharon Dosin, Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org