The Sisters of Charity of New York seek a Registered Nurse for Mount Saint Vincent Convent, a 60-room retirement home in Bronx, NY. The Convent provides assisted living services to retired sisters of the congregation.
The Nurse promotes the physical and mental health of sisters by acting as a member of the interdisciplinary treatment team and delivers care to sisters utilizing the nursing process of assessment, planning, intervention, implementation, and evaluation. The R.N. must effectively interact with sisters, family and others while maintaining standards of professional nursing. The R.N. coordinates and monitors medical services, including psychiatric and medication services, in accord with Convent policy and in response to individual resident need.
- Assess the sister; collect and document her current health status and medical history and make accurate and ongoing assessment of sisters’ status and review care plan if necessary.
- Communicate with the physician regarding sister’s needs, the nursing assessments, and recommendations daily, and as needed, as well as collaborate with other health team members to ensure the sister’s well-being.
- Perform direct patient care, utilizing established procedures, policies, and standards.
- Administer medications according to policy and procedure.
- Demonstrate ability and appropriate technical skills when administering treatments and procedures in accordance with physician’s orders and Convent policy.
- Demonstrate ability to handle emergency situations in a prompt, precise, and professional manner.
Provide personal care to offer comfort and well-being to the sister, acknowledging physiological and psychological needs.
- Interact with sisters who are at various levels of cognition, ranging from independent to impaired and do so with respect, compassion and kindness to enhance quality of life for the sisters.
- Contribute to and maintain an atmosphere of warmth, respect and a calm environment throughout the house.
- Demonstrate correct and safe technique in the use of equipment according to specific product information.
- Assist sisters and family members with concern and empathy; respect their confidentiality and privacy and communicate with them in a courteous and respectful manner.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Commitment to the Mission of the Sisters of Charity and to the elderly.
- Current license to practice professional nursing in New York State; must maintain mandated continuing education requirements.
- Three years of experience in a long-term care facility and working with the elderly.
- Excellent in communication, organization, interpersonal and planning skills and ability to maintain a high level of discretion with confidential information.
- Ability to be on call and work occasional nights, weekends and holiday, as needed.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and corresponding safety precautions necessary for the safer performance of assigned duties.
Walk extensively to and from various locations of the building while making rounds and transport residents within the facility for up to 8 hours per day. Ability to bend, stoop, sit, stand, reach, and lift 40 pounds or less; must utilize proper lifting and body mechanics to prevent personal injury. This position performs tasks that involve exposure to blood, body fluids, or tissues.
Please send resumes to Sharon Dosin, Director of Human Resources, email@example.com