The Sisters of Charity of New York seek a Registered Nurse for Health and Wellness.
The Nurse acts as a member of the interdisciplinary Health and Wellness team to promote the physical and mental health of Sisters by utilizing nursing skills and assisting them to access and integrate healthcare services. The Nurse must effectively interact with Sisters, family and others while maintaining confidentiality and standards of professional nursing. The Nurse assists the Director of Health and Wellness in coordinating and monitoring medical services and wellness activities for the Sisters.
- Assess a sister’s state of wellness in an initial interview, assist her in planning for maintaining a healthy and meaningful life, ensure that her needs are addressed and, guided by the Director of Health and Wellness, follow up on the plan in an appropriate and supportive manner through regular contact.
- Make accurate and ongoing assessments of Sisters’ status and review wellness plans as necessary.
- In collaboration with the Director, accompany sisters through serious illness or surgery by going with them to doctors when requested, being present before and after surgery to speak with the doctor/surgeon, visiting them in the hospital and rehabilitation facilities, communicating with staff, working with discharge planners for aftercare at home or in rehab and attending care plan meetings
- As needed, make appointments and coordinate the transportation needs of sisters to doctors and hospital appointments.
- Assist sisters in locating specialists and other services, e.g. home care.
- Communicate with Congregation leadership promptly and regularly regarding changes in a sister’s status.
- Assist sisters to make appropriate decisions when transition to another level of care is needed and accompany them through the transition.
- Handle emergency situations in a prompt, precise, and professional manner.
- Share in on-call duties so that emergencies may be handled promptly at whatever day or time and so that sisters will be accompanied when taken to an Emergency Room.
- Attend care plan meetings in retirement homes as requested by Director of Health and Wellness.
- Encourage wellness activities, assisting sister in setting her own goals and making the contacts with appropriate services if needed. The Nurse will oversee the quality and effectiveness of the services.
- Maintain health histories, healthcare proxies and Advance Directives documents and other written records as appropriate.
- On occasion perform direct patient care utilizing established standards when administering treatments and procedures.
- Interact with Sisters who are at various levels of cognition, ranging from independent to severely impaired and do so with respect, compassion and kindness.
- Assist Sisters and family members with concern and empathy; respect confidentiality and privacy and communicate with them in a courteous and respectful manner.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Commitment to the Mission of the Sisters of Charity and to the elderly.
- Current licensure to practice professional nursing in New York State; must maintain mandated continuing education requirements.
- Five years of experience working with the elderly in acute and/or long-term care settings.
- Excellent in communication, organization, interpersonal and planning skills and ability to maintain a high level of discretion with confidential information.
- Ability to be on call and work nights, weekends and holidays, as needed.
- Must have valid NYS Driver’s License and successfully pass SCNY driving test.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member.
- Must have working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
Drive extensively to and from various locations and transport sisters, sometimes with wheelchairs. Ability to bend, stoop, sit, stand, reach, and lift 50 pounds or less; must utilize proper lifting and body mechanics to prevent personal injury. This position performs tasks that may involve exposure to blood, body fluids, or tissues.
Please send resumes to Sharon Dosin, Director of Human Resources, 6301 Riverdale Avenue Bronx, NY 10471; firstname.lastname@example.org no later than August 18, 2017.