The Sisters of Charity of New York seek a Registered Nurse to serve as Nurse Manager of Health Services.
The Nurse Manager acts as a member of the Health Services Team to promote the physical and mental health of sisters by utilizing nursing skills and assisting them to navigate the healthcare system. The Nurse Manager must effectively interact with sisters, health professionals, family and Leadership Team while maintaining confidentiality and standards of professional nursing. The Nurse Manager will coordinate and monitor medical services for sisters living in community and / or convalescing in residential facilities.
Assist and advise individual sisters who have requested assistance or who have been identified as needing assistance with healthcare and related services.
- Encourage wellness activities, assist sister in setting her own goals and making the contacts with appropriate services if needed.
- Accompany sisters through serious illness / surgery and follow up to ensure continuity of care.
- Work with discharge planners for aftercare in rehabilitation facility, when needed.
- Attend Care Plan Meetings in rehabilitation facilities, when needed.
- If needed, make appointments and coordinate the transportation needs of sisters to doctors and hospital appointments.
- Assist sisters in ongoing review of their Advanced Directives and healthcare proxies. Maintain files of health histories and related documents.
- Communicate with Congregation leadership promptly and regularly regarding changes in a sister’s status.
- Identify and provide recommendations to sisters and Councilors when the need for a higher level of care becomes evident. Assist sisters to make appropriate health decisions and support them through transitions.
- Share in on-call duties so that emergencies may be handled promptly.
- In coordination with SC Center staff, facilitate and monitor use of home care and other community-based services.
- Demonstrate ability to handle emergency situations in a prompt, precise, and professional manner.
- Interact with sisters who are at various levels of cognition, ranging from independent to severely impaired and do so with respect, compassion and kindness to enhance quality of life for the sisters.
- Maintain harmonious relationship with co-workers and others, providing support and assistance to co-workers to ensure quality care.
- Perform all duties according to ANA Standards of Professional Performance.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Commitment to the Mission of the Sisters of Charity and to the elderly.
- Current licensure to practice professional nursing in New York State; must maintain mandated continuing education requirements.
- Five years of experience in a long-term care facility and/or working with the elderly in home care or case management.
- Excellent in communication, organization, interpersonal and planning skills and ability to maintain a high level of discretion with confidential information. Ability to have the difficult conversations.
- Ability to be on call and work occasional nights, weekends and holiday, as needed.
- Must have valid NYS Driver’s License and successfully pass SCNY driving test.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary team focused on a holistic approach to wellness.
- Must have working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
Drive extensively to and from various locations and transport sisters, sometimes with wheelchairs. Ability to bend, stoop, sit, stand, reach, and lift 50 pounds or less; must utilize proper lifting and body mechanics to prevent personal injury. This position performs tasks that may involve exposure to blood, body fluids, or tissues.
Please send resumes to Sharon Dosin, Director of Human Resources at email@example.com