The Sisters of Charity of New York seek a Director of Pastoral Services to serve at Mount Saint Vincent Convent, a 60-room retirement home in Bronx, NY. The Convent provides assisted living services to retired Sisters of the Congregation.
General Duties: The Director of Pastoral Services coordinates the spiritual and emotional support for sisters. The Director of Pastoral Services organizes liturgical and sacramental celebrations. The Director is available for the spiritual well-being of each sister, visiting and listening with love, compassion, good will and patience. The Director provides a variety of educational and supportive activities for the Sisters. The Director of Pastoral Services manages all information about the Congregation with extreme confidentiality.
- Collaborate with the Administrator in implementing a pastoral care program to meet the needs and nourish the spiritual life of the Sisters.
- Be present to each Sister in residence and in the hospital and skilled nursing facilities.
- Share everyday experiences with Sisters through regular visits, being especially attentive to those experiencing bereavement and those who want to deepen their awareness of and relationship to God.
- In collaboration with Councilors plan, conduct and be present at wakes and funerals.
- Meet regularly with Administrator and other department heads to communicate needs and concerns of the Sisters to appropriate personnel, as needed and appropriate.
- Prepare retreats and prayer services for and with the Sisters.
- Arrange for appropriate sacramental services, such as Anointing of the Sick and Reconciliation.
- Schedule Mass celebrants, lectors and Eucharistic ministers and acts as sacristan for liturgies or provide for Communion Services in the absence of a presider.
- Welcomes new Sister residents and convalescents and assists them in their orientation to the Convent.
- Consult with Administrator in planning budget for pastoral needs and recommend any materials or supplies needed.
- Act as liaison between staff and family and friends of a Sister during periods of crisis, adjustment, etc., when requested.
- Visit with Sisters at the New Jewish Home, as time allows.
- Attend and participate in meetings, as requested.
- Other duties as assigned by Leadership and/or Administrator.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Commitment to and understanding of the Mission, history and values of the Sisters of Charity.
- Educational background and a minimum of five years of experience in working with the elderly in a pastoral manner.
- CPE Certification preferred or equivalent in pastoral education and spiritual direction.
- Five years of relevant work experience with an elder population.
- Excellent in communication, organization, interpersonal and planning skills and ability to maintain a high level of discretion with confidential information.
- Must have working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to work a rotating work schedule that includes weekends and holidays.
Please send resume to Sharon Dosin, Director of Operations and Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than September 13, 2019.