The Sisters of Charity of New York seek to employ a Director of Nursing for Mount Saint Vincent Convent, a 60-room retirement home in Bronx, NY. The Convent provides assisted living services to retired sisters of the congregation.
General Duties: Director of Nursing is responsible to plan, organize, direct, develop and evaluate the care given by the members of the nursing staff to the sisters at Mount Saint Vincent Convent. The Director of Nursing, working as a team with the Administrator, oversees and coordinates the appropriate level of care for each sister and ensures the highest quality of care. The Director creates an atmosphere that provides for continuity of care and quality of life for all sisters. This is accomplished by providing clear direction and expectations to all employees about the philosophy and continued support of the Mission of the Sisters of Charity.
- Oversee and supervise the nursing staff.
- Develop, maintain, and periodically update written policies and procedures that govern the daily operations of the nursing staff.
- Communicate on a regular basis with Administrator and as needed, Nurse Manager and Leadership concerning the well-being of sisters.
- Demonstrate consistent ability to manage nursing problems and emergency situations.
- Develop an on-call system with RN at Convent to ensure consistent coverage after hours and weekends.
- In conjunction with RN, arrange medical appointments and transportation through Assistant Administrator.
- Interact with sisters who are at various levels of cognition and continually assess needs of sisters to move to another level of care to enhance quality of life for the sisters.
- Maintain accurate payroll records via ADP with regards to time and attendance for reporting personnel and approve paid time off requests.
- Ensure a written plan of care for each sister, as needed.
- Plan, evaluate and takes responsibility for providing consistent and sufficient staffing, as needed.
- In coordination with Administrator, make daily rounds to observe sisters and ensure all personnel are performing work assignments in accordance with job descriptions.
- Conduct staff meetings with all shifts for purposes of planning, coordinating and implementing nursing policies and procedures, to assist in identifying and correcting problems, and/or for improvement of services.
- Participate in smooth transition of sisters admitted to MSVC, including receiving information relative to nursing needs.
- Visit sisters in hospitals, rehabilitation centers on a regular basis.
- Attend Care Plan Meetings in rehabilitation centers, as necessary.
- Collaborate with attending physicians in reviewing the nursing requirements of each sister.
- Monitor medication and treatment schedules to ensure that medications are being administered as ordered, and treatments provided as scheduled.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Commitment to the Mission of the Sisters of Charity and to the elderly.
- Leadership and management skills to oversee the operations of the department.
- Ability to work a rotating work schedule that may include weekends; ability to respond to Convent at any time of day in case of emergency.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing required, Master’s Degree in Nursing preferred.
- Current license to practice professional nursing in New York State; must maintain mandated continuing education requirements.
- Five years of experience in geriatric care and 3 years of management experience.
- Must have valid NYS Driver’s License and successfully pass SCNY driving test.
- Must have working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
Please send requests for further information and/or resumes to Sharon Dosin, Director of Human Resources, email@example.com or contact her by phone at 718-549-8156.